Richard's Consti & Theory Blog

This is where I post my (fairly random) thoughts on issues I come across in Constitutional Law, and in Legal Theory more generally. I need to make clear that the contents of this Blog are no-one else's responsibility (except where law dictates), and that no trees died in the making of this part of the blogosphere. I may try to be witty ...

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Welsh Assembly News

It's unfair, isn't it, for me to say that you can tell it's a slow news day when I'm writing about the Welsh Assembly ? (Cynulliad Cenedlaethol Cymru to our Welsh readers, I think)

Actually, what's proposed seems an interesting compromise between two admitted problems - polls show that the Welsh don't want more devolved powers, but Westminster has trouble finding the time to do the legislating for them. Again, it will be interesting to see how the courts treat these new Assembly Measures - almost like Acts of Parliament (ie immune from scrutiny), or yet another form of Delegated Legislation, to be Judicially Review'd pretty freely.

The lead story from the Beeb is here, and a Q&A of sorts is here.

Watch this space - and as one of the people that the Beeb interviewed rightly says, the real test for the Assembly will be what (if anything) happens when you get different political parties in charge at Westminster and in Cardiff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home